Extending Help to a Stranger
With hundreds of thousands of people needing stem cell transplants, your gift to a stranger could be the greatest gift they ever receive.
Take Part in Discovering New Treatments
As a public bank, we are a research facility specializing and collecting special and rare tissue types. We collect donated cord blood for life-saving clinical transplants into a sick patient and for cutting edge research programs for the advancement of cellular therapeutics and regenerative medicines.
It costs you nothing to donate your baby’s umbilical cord, but in return you could be granting the biggest gift someone could ever ask for—a life-saving treatment. Cord blood transplants do not require a perfect match. Studies have shown cord blood transplants can be performed in cases where the donor and the recipient are partially matched.
Here are the steps you will need to take if you choose to donate your baby’s umbilical cord for someone in need or for medical research.
- Complete questionnaire. This provides information about your pregnancy and medical history of your family. (Be assured, all information will be kept confidential.)
- You will be asked to sign a consent form permitting the cord blood collection and potential use to treat a stem cell transplant patient or perform stem cell research. This consent form will be signed at the hospital when you go to deliver your baby, however a copy will be sent to your home prior to your delivery for you to review.
- Remind hospital staff that you are a cord blood donor and/or give them the reminder card. A collection kit will have been sent to the hospital with your name on it and your chart will have been flagged as a participant.
- Blood Sample. You are required to give a blood sample to be tested for certain infections, including hepatitis and AIDS. This is done to reduce the chances of passing on an infectious disease. This blood sample will be obtained at the hospital when you have your baby.
- Privacy. As with the information gathered from the medical history form, information from blood tests; along with your information and your baby’s information will be kept confidential.
We are dedicated to helping families fight against degenerative diseases with something they are naturally given. You can check out our procedures that meet FDA guidelines.
Need questions answered? Set up a time to talk one-on-one with us, so you can have peace-of-mind about your decision.